Roland Replicated the Iconic 808 in an Affordable and Modern Format
Roland released a brand new 808 for 808 day (August 8) – and it can be yours for around $400. The TR-08 Rhythm Composer was released within Roland’s Boutique collection and will be available for purchase in September. It brings the look, sound and feel of the iconic drum machine, the TR-808, into an affordable and modern format.
The TR-08 uses Roland’s analogue circuit modeling technology, ACB. Its compact, portable style allows for immediate creativity, whether you’re performing live on stage, producing in your studio or making music in your own home. According to Roland, the TR-08 blends attention to detail and respect for the legacy of the original 808.
“The most profound thing is just how well it sounds like the original yet interfaces in a way that obviously with the old stuff is not practical,” said producer and analog influencer, Principleasure.
Key features of the TR-08 include:
- Ultra-compact recreation of the legendary TR-808 drum machine
- Retains the sound, character, and user interface of the original TR-808
- Hands-on control including tone, level, tuning, and decay
- Added Compressor, Gain, Tune, and Pan for selected instruments
- Programmable via classic Step and Tap write modes
- Sequencer has 16 steps with 16 sub-steps for detailed patterns and rolls
- Continue playing beats even while switching between write modes
- LED display for easier navigation and fine control of tempo and shuffle
- Ten separate outputs via USB audio
- Dedicated, track-selectable trigger output for controlling external instruments
- High-quality construction with metal front panel
- Highly portable for mobile music making
- Includes DK-01 Boutique Dock for multiple-angle viewing
- Battery-operated (4 x AA) or USB powered
- Built-in powered mini-speaker for instant enjoyment
- Compatible with optional Roland Boutique accessories
Roland’s Boutique line focuses on putting the legendary sounds of the past into a modern workflow to inspire electronic creativity. Check out more about the new TR-08 here and take a look at the other Roland products available.
DJing and producing were once two separate worlds, but have collided more and more over the recent years. With an affordable price tag, we expect to see plenty of seasoned DJs and producers, as well as those new to the game getting their hands on the TR-08. Let us know if you’re excited or plan to buy one in September. We want to hear from you!