SoundCloud Expands Its Monetization Program to Include More Music Creators
SoundCloud has announced that they will be expanding their Premier monetization program to hundreds of thousands of independent music creators. Previously invite only, the program will now roll out to all eligible Pro and Pro Unlimited subscribers.
With SoundCloud Premier monetization, your uploaded tracks are available for immediate discovery and monetization. Of course, the biggest benefit is getting paid, which SoundCloud promises will be competitive (meet or beat other platforms) and fast (monthly direct payments).
Who is eligible for SoundCloud Premier monetization?
- You must be a SoundCloud Pro or Pro Unlimited subscriber
- You must be an independent creator of original music (no mixes or podcast content)
- No copyright strikes at time of enrollment
- Streams come from at least one of these eligible countries: US, UK, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Ireland, The Netherlands, New Zealand and any other territories designated by SoundCloud as eligible
- Humans are listening to your tracks (bot streams will not be counted)
- 18 years old or age of majority in your country
In addition to these requirements, the program expansion will start with SoundCloud Pro or Pro Unlimited subscribers who have 5,000 plays or more in the past month. Creators will be contacted via email if they receive access to the program.
A SoundCloud Pro subscription costs $8 per month ($72 per year), while Pro Unlimited costs $16 per month ($144 per year). Read more details on the SoundCloud plans page.
While these requirements are still pretty heavy, the expanded program could create new opportunities for DJs, producers, and music creators to start earning money in the ever-changing music industry.
We’ll update this blog as more details are revealed. Are you an independent artist? How do you currently make money from your original music? Let us know your thoughts on SoundCloud’s monetization program. We want to hear from you!