Top 5 DJ Gear & Software Announcements from October (so far)
October has already been an amazing month and we’re only halfway through. From software updates to new DJ gear releases, we’ve been really excited about writing and talking about all the latest news.
If you haven’t already seen our other articles about the new releases, we’ve made it a bit easier to get caught up on all the latest news. From most recent to the oldest, the updates below are highlights of the updates.
Denon DJ MC4000 DJ Controller.
October 13th, 2015
Denon DJ announced that shipments of its brand-new MC4000 DJ controller have begun. Featuring a sleek new design, all metal construction and inviting appearance, the MC4000 continues Denon DJ’s reputation for innovative features, dependability, unrivaled sound quality and peerless value.
The all-new MC4000 is a 2-deck Serato MIDI controller for the professional DJ, wrapping in-demand audio manipulation tools in a robust steel chassis. In addition to precision touch-activated jog wheels, performers get access to dedicated hot cue and sample pads for on-the-fly creativity. Long-throw 100mm pitch faders and an intuitive control layout deliver natural operation when balancing complex set elements. Known for their emphasis on sound quality, Denon DJ includes a premium 24-bit audio output path for noticeably clearer mixes. Denon DJ’s highly regarded dual microphone inputs are complemented by a studio-grade echo effect, and “ducking” feature—effortlessly moving vocals to the top of the mix without riding faders. The MC4000 includes Serato DJ Intro and is compatible with Traktor 2 and Virtual DJ 8.
- Premium 2-Deck controller for Serato
- Includes Serato DJ Intro; user-upgradeable to Serato DJ
- 50% Off Serato DJ coupon included in box with purchase
- Touch-activated jog wheels for accurate scratching and track cueing
- Dedicated hot-cue and sample trigger pads with illuminated feedback
- Long-throw, 100mm pitch faders
- Dedicated EQ and FX controls on each channel
- (2) balanced mic inputs with 2-band EQ, Ducking, and Echo effect
- Compatible with Virtual DJ 8, Algoriddim djay PRO, and Traktor 2 (via .tsi files)
- RCA Aux input for external device mixing
- Balanced Main and Booth Outputs
- Pro-grade steel construction
October 13th, 2015
Pioneer released the XDJ-700 – the younger brother of the XDJ-1000. Among the features, the ones that stand out are the compact size and the removable stand making it a perfect setup for the mobile DJ or a venue with limited space. The XDJ-700 also inherited many of the performance features from its bigger bro, the XDJ-1000.
Some Key Features include:
- Large Touch Screen:
The 7-inch, full-colour LCD touch screen gives you instinctive control for ultimate creativity. The GUI is divided into three sections so you can effortlessly access all the features you need.
- Faster Browsing:
The Browse function allows you to call up a Qwerty keyboard and search for keywords. It also lets you choose how you view your tracks: list, artwork or custom view.
- Hot Cues:
Trigger Hot Cues and Hot Loops in perfect time.
- Beat Perfect:
Quantize snaps cues and loops to the rekordbox beat grid. This enables a reliable performance without breaking the rhythm of your music during playback.
- More Creative Freedom:
Automatically beatmatch up to 4 playing decks. Works with music that has been beat-analysed by rekordbox™
- Slip Mode:
Keep tracks playing muted during live edits such as loop, scratch or reverse. Release the jog wheel and the track comes back at exactly the right place.The XDJ-700 offers DJs and venues unparalleled set-up possibilities. Its compact size and removable stand means it’s perfect for even the smallest booth or home set-up. It’s the first player at this price to feature Pro DJ Link – allowing you to share one source with up to four players or laptops. Tracks can be loaded via USB or Wi-Fi to give you even more choice.
Akai Professional MPC Touch
October 7th, 2015
Akai Professional announced the introduction of the MPC Touch, the newest and most future-forward member of their legendary MPC product line. The touch-screen controller is the result of painstaking engineering development, detailed customer research and user feedback. The result is the most capable and user-friendly music production controllers Akai Professional has developed to date.
The Touch introduces a new approach to music production with an ultra fast and super intuitive workflow, powered by a radiant 7″ color multi-touch display. Literally grab and pinch waveforms, draw midi events, adjust envelopes, chop samples, add effects and precisely set your controls using your fingertips. Combined with the classic MPC feel, sound and award-winning pads, the Touch embodies the best elements of our past while taking music production gear into the future.
- 7″ color multi-touch Display
- 16 velocity-sensitive thick, fat MPC pads with RGB backlighting
- 2-in/2-out audio interface
- Step Sequencer with touch interface
- XYFX control adds effects, adjusts sound dynamics in real time
- Phrase Looper, enables connection of any instrument to create loops
- Pad Mixer for setting levels, stereo panning and adding VST effects
- Sample Edit control, for trimming, chopping and processing your samples
- 4 new, performance-ready touch-sensitive controls
- Data Encoder knob, for push-and-twist control of display parameters
- Includes MPC software with over 20 GB of sound content
“Our new MPC Touch is an incredibly noteworthy event in the evolution of the Akai Professional product lineup. Years of research, customer feedback and cutting-edge engineering development has led directly to the most capable and innovative MPC we’ve ever offered,” said Dan Gill, Product Manager for Akai Professional. “We’re known for the excellence and music-making capability of our MPC family. It’s the backbone of what we do. The MPC Touch breaks new ground in music production in terms of ease of use and on-board capability. We’re excited and proud to offer it to modern musicians everywhere.”
Serato announces Key Detection Update 1.8
October 6th, 2015
Below is additional information about the update.
What will this update do?
- Adds key detection and display
- An update to Pitch ‘n Time DJ allowing key shifting and key sync
- User hardware remapping
- Additional performance and stability updates
- Analyze the root key of your tracks in the Serato DJ Offline Player, a free download.
- Organize your Serato DJ library by key.
- Colored key display in the Serato DJ library for quick and easy recognition and key matching.
- Choose one format to display key for all your tracks, whether analysed in Serato DJ or elsewhere. Display Camelot, Open Key, Musical Key notation or Original Tag (what’s already in your files).
- Key is written to your track. View this info in any other music software that supports ID3 tags.
- Serato DJ key analysis is developed by Serato.
Serato Key analysis will be available for all Serato DJ users in Serato DJ 1.8.
Pitch ‘N Time DJ Update
- Key shift, match and key sync.
- Harmonic mixing made easy. Simple visual representation of compatible track keys on deck.
- Manually match key for the track you are mixing, key sync automatically or choose between various compatible keys.
- Studio quality algorithm, used by post-production professionals, audio engineers and producers worldwide.
- Speed up or slow down your track to extreme tempo values while maintaining its key perfectly, with the highest quality and definition of any available software.
- Free for current Pitch ‘n Time DJ users updating to Serato DJ 1.8. For new users, Pitch ‘n Time DJ can be purchased in-app or on the Serato Online Store for 29USD.
Supported hardware* is being opened up for user remapping of Serato DJ features. For advanced users wanting custom control, remap parts of your controller for quick access to features you use regularly.
*Official Serato Accessories do not support remapping at this stage.
*There are some limitations for specific hardware. For specific information on remapping your controller, refer to individual controller quickstart guide.
Serato DJ 1.8 will be available end of October for all Serato DJ users!
Native Instruments releases the portable TRAKTOR KONTROL S5
October 2, 2015
Native Instruments released the portable TRAKTOR KONTROL S5 all-in-one DJ system designed for fluid, hands-on control of the included flagship TRAKTOR software. TRAKTOR KONTROL S5 provides an intuitive, modern workflow brought to life by touch-sensitive controls, full-color displays, and innovative multi-channel mixing with the new Stems* open format. Based on time-tested TRAKTOR features and advanced new technology, TRAKTOR KONTROL S5 creates a mixing experience that both inspires, and feels natural from the start. TRAKTOR KONTROL S5 is now available online and at retailers worldwide.
TRAKTOR KONTROL S5 draws its power from innovative touch-and-see TRAKTOR workflow that makes DJing an intuitive mixing experience. Touch-sensitive knobs and two multi-purpose touch strips trigger a host of views, panels, and functions visible on the high-resolution displays – encouraging a direct, focused connection between the DJ and crowd. The latest to join the family of Stems-ready TRAKTOR hardware, TRAKTOR KONTROL S5 features customized Stem Deck support. When using Stem files with the latest version of TRAKTOR PRO 2, TRAKTOR KONTROL S5’s performance pads allow control of individual stems for creative mixing.
TRAKTOR KONTROL S5 also boasts a professional on-board audio interface and robust build. The integrated 24-bit/48kHz audio interface features both XLR and RCA master outputs, one ¼ inch booth output, and an independent stand-alone RCA or ¼ inch AUX channel input for connecting a mic, MP3 player, or other line-level peripherals. And the unit’s compact construction features high-grade materials and a durable build-quality made to withstand frequent gigging and touring.
Celebrating the release, a new walkthrough video demonstrating the power and simplicity of mixing with TRAKTOR KONTROL S5 is now available online.
TRAKTOR KONTROL S5 is now available for $799 / 799 € / ¥ 99,800 / £579 / $AU 1094 at the NI Online Shop and at local retailers.
BPM Supreme is a source for DJ and production culture delivering exclusive performances, interviews, behind the scenes, tutorials, and much more. Keep checking our BPM Supreme Blog to get the latest in DJ trends.