Image-Line Releases FL Studio 20.5 Update, Adds New FLEX Synth Plus Improvements
Last Spring, Image-Line celebrated the 20th anniversary of its DAW FL Studio by releasing FL Studio 20, a version that included long-awaited compatibility with Mac. Since then, the popular DAW has received some updates such as version 20.1, but the latest one is major.
FL Studio 20.5 introduces a new synth called FLEX, which is a free “preset-based instrument” that comes loaded with sound packs. FLEX is designed to give users instant access to production-ready sounds that can be tweaked using a simplified set of parameters. The idea is to enable producers to spend less time on sound design and more time on making music.
Users will like the fact that they can save their favorite presets as well as search sounds by tags. They can also buy new packs and will get more to download for free from FL Studio.
In addition to FLEX, version 20.5 adds plenty of improvements and features to FL Studio, as well as to many of its plugins. Notable updates include the ability to use FL Studio as a VST or AU plugin on Mac or as a VST plugin on Windows, the ability to preview samples, and the option to change the max number of backup files.
All updates you’ll find in FL Studio 20.5 include:
- FLEX – Free plugin for all FL Studio editions. FLEX is an advanced, preset-based instrument built on subtractive, wavetable, multisample, FM and AM synthesis.
- macOS VST/AU – FL Studio can now be used as a VST or AU plugin on macOS hosts that support VST or AU plugins. Windows hosts can use VST.
- Browser – (Alt+Click) to preview samples to their end. Click the stop on the transport panel to end early.
- FILE settings – Option to change the maximum number of backup files.
- Playlist / Piano roll – Mute selection (Alt+M). Unmute selection (Alt+Shift+M).
- Plugin Manager – Check mark for favorite plugins is now a star.
- FL Studio performance monitor – VIEW > Plugin performance monitor. Useful to identify resource heavy plugins.
- Patcher – Option to show CPU usage of modules. Right-click workspace > View > Performance.
- Channels & Effects – Added ‘Don’t show this in the future’ option when deleting Channels and Effects.
- Reset popup warnings – Option on the General Settings tab.
- MIDI Options – The MIDI device list will be updated when the computer wakes up after sleep mode.
- MIDI – Added ‘Don’t show this in future’ for error messages when a MIDI device can’t open.
- Plugins – Deleting plugins now asks for confirmation (since there is no undo).
- SoundFonts – DirectWave will open when a SoundFont file is dropped on the Channel Rack.
- Templates – Are now set under the General Settings tab.
Updated Plugins include:
- Edison Denoise Tool – Now available on macOS.
- Fruity Blood Overdrive – Is now a vectorized native FL Studio plugin, and also available on macOS.
- Harmless – Free 120 preset ‘Harmless Essentials’ library by Olbaid.
- Sytrus – Free 151 preset ‘Sytrus Essentials’ library by Olbaid
- WaveShaper – Improved quality settings for live audio (HQ) and automation of its controls (smoothing).
- Wave Traveller and Fruity Scratcher – now vectorized and also available on macOS.
- ZGameEditor Visualizer – Added color parameter to effects. New effects (Alps, Boaty Goes Caving, Fluidity, Frozen Wasteland, Neptune Racing, Space Jewels, Spherical Polyhedra, WetInkSpiral, Xyptonjtroz). Added ‘Select all’ buttons to images and meshes list. New Add Images (source) options including presets (whole ZGameEditor projects), URL (Stream online videos) and Online Media (images and videos from pexels.com).
FL Studio 20.5 is available for purchase today or as a free download for existing users. FLEX is included for free with all editions of FL Studio. Visit Image-Line’s website to learn more.
Are you a FL Studio user? Let us know if you’ll be giving FLEX a try. We want to hear from you!